Friday, August 7, 2009

Student Success is only a Flickr away

I have recently discovered the wonderful software called Flickr. It allows you to upload and share photos in a controlled setting, where you can maintain your privacy and your student's privacy as well. I have thought about the idea of incorporating Flickr into a learning unit on the history of my town. I believe that I could have students take pictures of older homes in my town, documenting where founders of the town use to live. My students could use Flickr to document how some of the older businesses in town have changed over time. My students would write reports about the history of the businesses, how they were started and the impact that certain historical events like World War II and the rationing of goods had on these businesses.

My students could also use Flickr to document how traffic patterns have changed in recent decades with the influx of new people moving from nearby major cities to avoid paying high taxes. How would the increase in traffic and need for housing effect the community in which my students live? What are the implications for the need for more teachers in the local schools? The need to open more coffee shops or fast food restaurants? Population trends over time could be studied. Specifically, my students could take pictures of the newer local businesses and use these ideas as springboards into research about economic trends in our town and other nearby communities.

These are just some ideas of how to incorporate Flickr into a teaching unit for my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment